|Ed Walicki's - Mastering the Basics
Mastering the Basics - Wood Selection, Layout and Cutting -
Hour DVD Course- $59.00
In my opinion this is the most important
information contained in this entire series. Knowing how to chose
the right kind of wood for your project will make or break (literally)
the entire piece. I am always amazed at the time carvers invest in
a piece of carving wood without any consideration as to the age of the
tree when harvested, grain structure and layout, growth climate, disease
or a multitude of other influences that dramatically effect the outcome
of your carving long before you make that first cut. Or can
surface weeks, months or years after your carving is complete ruining
all your hard work. All could have been prevented with a clear
understand of what makes a stable piece of carving wood. I have
learned allot over the years through my own experience and researching
problems that developed in my early carvings over time. You will
be surprised how much there is to picking out the best wood for your
carvings that will stand the test of time. And provide excellent
results while carving. Don't leave anything to chance that you
sign your name too. I also cover at great length why certain wood
grain patterns will always fail months after the carving is completed.
And also covered at length, picking out the best wood for fins that will
give you a fin that is flexible and extremely difficult to break.
And takes detail better than any other cut of wood. Wood cuts used
for fins are harder to find but once you know this information you will
be able to spot those blocks a mile away. And for those carvers
that do natural finish pieces this information will be priceless.
I cover all the aspects to getting the most from the wood grain pattern
for several different effects. I mentioned it already but it
is worth repeating....this is the most important information contained
in the entire series.
This course also includes bonus footage
portions of Patterns Complete as it relates to layout and pattern
adjustments. This course goes hand in hand with Fins Complete
and Patterns Complete. Very import crossover information that will
impact all my carving courses.
- Wood Types
- Air Dried Considerations
- Kiln Dried Considerations
- Northern Grown vs. Southern Grown and how to spot the
- How the age of the tree effects the layout.
- What to look for for fin wood, body wood and habitat selections
- Why wood cracks
- How to prevent it
- Pattern Layout considerations for any piece of wood.
- Spotting "Fin Wood" and getting the most out of each piece.
- Understanding how the grain direction effects all aspects of
- Natural Finish Carvings - wood selection and layout
- Positioning for figure
- How to spot figure in raw blocks
- What to look for when buying wood
- What questions to ask/
- How to prep the block for pattern layout
- Bandsawing Tips and Considerations
- Cutting out fish blanks
- Cutting out driftwood blanks
- Cutting out rocks
- Best Blade Choices
- Riser Blocks
- What to look for in a bandsaw
- Sealing wood
- Bonus Footage from Patterns Complete
- And more....
Return to DVD Courses Home Page